Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Goals

It's good to have them. And in law school it tends to seem like goals are all that you have. Actual successes are few and far between in this particular setting, which often seems to throw mediocrity in your face at every possible turn. That's not to say that all law students are mediocre - rather the opposite, it is a conglomeration of the largest concentration of type-A personalities you've ever seen, along with intelligent slackers, future politicians, public interest do-gooders (I say that with near-reverence, as I wish I were one), and listless, intelligent people who have yet to find their calling. But, you put a group like that together and you're bound to find that many (in fact, the majority) of the people will be deemed mediocre in that specific setting, in that particular arrangement of company.

I actually have no idea what the point of this post was other than I have a strange amount of energy (probably inspired by the free coffee in the cafe), it's a gorgeous day (seriously, picture Simpsons-esque clouds floating in a surreal blue sky, and dappled sunlight leaking through the giant plate glass windows of the library), and I saw an incredible concert last night. Man, it might be finals, but I'm in an insanely good mood. Maybe I should do something productive with all of this energy....that's a thought.

Then again, it's almost time for my Evidence study group. Kids, if your professor is anything like mine and you need to memorize how the FRE works (Federal Rules of Evidence, for you non-initiates), then do I have an awesome game for you. Watch episodes of Law & Order (or whatever courtroom, crime drama of your choice) and then have out-loud objections to evidence with friends, and discussions of how key pieces of evidence would get in. Seriously, it works. But only if you don't succumb completely to (a) snack time, (b) the allure of discussing the early-90's racism, sexism, morality complexes, seriously questionable dress sense, and abhorrent writing of the early episodes of Law & Order. The second one is harder to avoid than you might think. But, if you hold steadfast to your mission of sounding like a crazy person yelling at the tv with random assortments of numbers and letters (because saying 801(d)(2)(D) is a totally normal thing to do), I promise that some of it will actually make more sense.

And for those nights where your brain is literally rejecting information, you can turn it into a drinking game.

What? Were you expecting rules for that? Nope. Make up your own. I'll be drinking my coffee and enjoying the caffeine induced mania going on in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment