Thursday, May 2, 2013

Eeep!

I've been a bad blogger. Apparently took a mental vacation, while subjecting my actual person and mental capacities to the ravages of a compressed quarter (which, for the record, is hands down the absolute worst idea anyone in the history of ever has had). I'll attempt to catch you up on things as best I'm able, but don't hate me if I really can't remember all the things - I'm still trying to cram all of Federal Indian Law into my brain, it is the equivalent of taking Fed Courts, but worse. Believe you me, rather than just asking the questions about is it criminal or civil, state or federal, you also have to add in the maze of criminal jurisdiction relating to tribes, and whether or not they're tribes covered by PL 280. For those of you who don't know what all that means, just be grateful.

Anyway, the highlights: law prom, law prom afterparty, my friend taking on immigration court like a BOSS, the glorious return of sunshine, and summer wine on the roof.

Law prom and the afterparty shall be covered in a separate entry (that I swear I started last week, but just never finished because I was trying to be a good student).

The glorious return of sunshine, and the breaking of Spring. Sunshine during this hellish two months is the most distracting thing I've ever encountered. Even worse when it's combined with relatively balmy temperatures that allow for the wearing of dresses and skirts. It's something akin to waving one of those sparkly feathery doodads in front of a kitten, and then expecting them to just sit there silently and learn how to shake paws. That bad. It's been (mostly) glorious outside, and even (dare I say it?) warm at times. Therefore, being stuck indoors (where the internets are) to work on god knows what (because there are literally an innumerable amount of things that I can/should be doing) is something akin to the kind of torture where they leave the lights on so that you can't sleep for days. I don't know what that's called, but that. Oh, which reminds me, the downside to being in the upper latitudes when we edge toward the summer solstice is that the freaking sun shines through the windows by 5:45 AM. Upside, I'm WIDE AWAKE at about 6:45. Downside, I don't always need to be awake that early, and can often use more sleep. It also doesn't get dark outside until almost 8 PM. So, color my circadian rhythms bass-ackwards. (As if they weren't already.) All of this on top of a compressed quarter is that ALL the learning and writing and whatever else is crammed into 8 weeks. EIGHT. That's it. From beginning to end. Terrifying, no? All I have to say is - here goes nothing.

This has lead to, however, a gratuitous use of my building's rooftop deck, limited as it may be. Which is lovely after a LONG day trapped within this cemetery of dreams. What makes it even lovelier is that I get to pass the time amongst company comprised of comrades (see what I did there with that alliteration?). And that my friend introduced me to a glorious Spanish creation whose name (which I'm not even going to try to spell because I'd massacre it) translates loosely to summer wine. The recipe is at the end of this post. Bubbly, light, and refreshing. NOT sangria. (Because the two could conceivably be confused) The hilarious and brilliant woman who brings you this drink (note: NOT ME) is also doing a pretty bad ass interview today and managed to get ICE to stipulate to dismissing her clinic client's case without uttering a single word. Because she's just. that. good. Go ahead and try to tell me you're not impressed. You can't. You just can't. So, fingers crossed for this force to be reckoned with, because if anyone is going to take the law by the horns and wrestle injustices to the ground, it'll be her.

I've also determined that taking an all hippie quarter was both the best and worst idea I've ever had. Despite the fact that I only have one final and that I now know I will have enough credits to graduate early. To which my lovely mother's response was, "Does that mean you'll have time to just travel anywhere in the world for like two weeks?" The answer to that question is always yes, for the record. If you say no to that question you're either (a) a cyborg, (b) have no soul (could go hand in hand with a), or (c) an agoraphobe.

In other semi-relevant news, I'm likely to soon be a member of the Student Bar Association. And I'm in another clinic for next year. Yay? There goes any notion that I was going to see free time again. Womp Womp.

No comments:

Post a Comment