Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Simply the Best

Let me start this with a rallying war cry, "Steve Holt!" Whew, now that's over, let's move on. Now, a little background.

This quarter just so happens to be what is known in the high education biz as a "condensed quarter" which means more class time, less flexibility with sick days, and TONS of reading in a really unreasonably short period of time. What we have here is 8 weeks of class (and keep in mind that some classes only meet twice a week, or even ONCE a week!), and then bing bang boom, it's Finals! Surprise! You weren't ready for that were you? Good. The less prepared you are, the better? Something like that. Honestly I don't at all understand the institution's reasoning for this, but it does mean that those of us who consistently feel compelled to take on 500,000 things get to be stressed out for two months straight.

All I can say is thank the almighty flying spaghetti monster for my friends. They give me sanity and perspective and decompression, and really all the good things.

On the upside of all of this madness (MADNESS? THIS IS SPARTA!!!), is that I have some truly incredible professors this quarter, which will make the 300+ pages of reading every other day just a tiny bit better. One is my professor crush (not in a romantic way, you sickos!), one is possibly the most wonderful and adorable professors ever, and the last just spews sayings that I want to write in a notebook and keep for all of time. Seriously, the last one has a whole facebook group dedicated to the magical things he says. I have never laughed harder in a law school class. I'll just give you a tiny sampling: "Have they had a fire drill yet this quarter? No? They’re negligent. Remember that when you burn to death." Magical, right? He's like a unicorn amongst a swarm of orcs. He's the unicorn of law school professors. There, I said it. That being said, his class has an ungodly amount of reading. 177 pages for the FIRST DAY. No joke. 

Oh, to explain what I mean by "professor crush" it's a professor who (a) appears to be an actual human, (b) who so wows you with their intelligence that it borders on intimidating, (c) tempts you to add "like a BAWSS" to everything they do, (d) actually cares about their students, and (e) go above and beyond. It's a rarity, but I now have several. It might be a problem, because I only want to take their classes. Blessing and a curse, I guess.

UNRELATED NOTE: Cinderella's marriage is totally green card motivated. HOLY MOTHER OF GOD IS THAT NOT A REASON TO GET MARRIED. DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB DUMB.

No comments:

Post a Comment