Thursday, March 14, 2013

White Smoke!

We have a new pope! By which I mean, the Catholics (of whom I am not one) have a new pope! Per my exceedingly clever colleague, he shall be henceforth dubbed Papa Argentina! I have a little bit of hope for Papa Argentina - he's a Jesuit, and he's from one of the most liberal countries in South America. However, there are things that he's holding staunchly to the party line on. Namely, contraception (except in a select few cases), gay marriage, general homosexuality issues, and we're not sure just yet how he views and plans to deal with the whole child molestation thing that the Church has sadly become associated with. I mean, man, if I can say nothing else about the views of high ranking Catholic priests - they are damned consistent.

That's really all I've got. That and he's old as dirt. Can YOU imagine STARTING a career at the nubile age of 76? (Note: cryptkeeper is not a viable career choice in this specific scenario) The last dude they chose because he was old and they weren't sure the direction the Church should take split the church in two (which, mercifully, didn't last).

Being largely a-religious, or at least agnostic, this doesn't really affect me. So, it's a thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment