Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Careers to Fall Back On

Something I've learned rather repeatedly throughout law school is that (1) it is not at all unusual to think about/map out alternate careers and (2) it's ok to frequently feel like you're failing.

In light of those two revelations, I've decided to spend the remainder of this class (other than the portion dedicated to reading a federal register posting) coming up with a list of potential alternate careers for myself.

  1. Fashion oracle. Apparently I have a knack for predicting things that will eventually become trends. This is something I don't do on purpose. Case in point: while at home over the holidays, I discovered my dad's old letterman jacket from high school and started wearing it. Apparently an up and coming trend for 2013, according to, well, to be honest, my mother. Who claims to have read it in Glamour. Is vintage varsity jackets. So there?
  2. Blogger. HAHAHAHA. Just kidding, I clearly do that already for free. So either I'm losing tons of money here, or this is not a profitable enterprise.
  3. Yoga instructor. This was a previous occupation of mine. So that part isn't a stretch.
  4. Life coach. Because, oh honey, you need to get your shit together. (How I Met Your Mother reference FTW!)
  5. Start a support group for people with severe nonallergic chronic rhinitis. Boom. 
  6. Start a combination bakery/brewery. Somehow I have a sneaking feeling that drunk people will be all over pretzel bread. Now, if only I could actually bake bread....that wasn't banana.
  7. Personal statement essay editor for overzealous high school seniors. Because if it doesn't entertain me, you're probably not impressing the people that are in control of whether or not you get admitted to college.
  8. Travel blogger/writer. Because who DOESN'T want to get paid to galavant around the globe and write things and get paid for it?
  9. Professional student. God, that sounds like a death sentence. 
That's all I've got. Most of those are terrible. I'm so screwed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment