Monday, January 28, 2013

Reflections on LinkedIn


  • Social media and the utter lack of internet privacy in the United States (seriously, go read your ISP's privacy policy that you already signed on to) have made it possible to inadvertently semi stalk someone. Case in point, I accidentally ran across a guy I went on a few dates with (did not know his last name) in the "suggested connections" on LinkedIn. It was a weird moment. I exited that window immediately.
  • People have increasingly large networks on LinkedIn that follow a bell curve shape with age. Professionals in their 40's (which is the age where I automatically assume that people have their shit sorted out) have these networks of hundreds of people. People in their 20's tend to have a hundred or so (but, keep in mind, this comes from someone who is mildly socially inept), and people that did not grow up in the age of the internet are at about that level. 
  • I'd be fascinated to know if LinkedIn actually does anything to GET you a job. Y'know, before you have a full time, paid job with benefits. 

Musings on other topics:
  • Online dating is weird. I've done it. I'm not against it. It works for a lot of people. It's still weird. It feels like just a few years ago it was a taboo. You'd get made fun of for seriously dating someone you met online. Now I actually know people who are marrying people they met online. And advertising that fact. I have little faith in the upcoming nuptials, but that is for entirely not-internet related reasons.
  • Is it possible that there is a correlation between the rise in online dating and the rise in divorce rates in the US? They have both spiked roughly around the same time. 
  • Online dating sites have ludicrous names. Examples: "christian mingle" "black people meet" "plenty of fish" Just...Wow. Did creativity go out the window with increased efficacy of spell check?
  • Seth MacFarlane's shows are less funny than I thought they were four years ago. His commencement speech for Harvard, however, is still one of the best I've ever seen.
  • I don't know where I was going with all of this.

No comments:

Post a Comment