Tuesday, January 15, 2013

The Problem with...

Law School is that I seem to get sick at all the worst times. Case in point: this weekend. I remain convinced that I definitely had a high grade fever, given that I couldn't control my body temperature, felt like I was going to pass out, and joints that I didn't know I had hurt like they were going to explode. However, I'm not certain about that whole fever-having thing, since I didn't make it far enough from the bed to actually use a thermometer. Fear not! I have returned from the near-grave world I was previously inhabiting, with the aid of modern medicine and a wonderful drug called ibuprofuen. Thank god penicillin got discovered. Otherwise natural selection would have killed me off long ago. LONG AGO. No joke. It's been trying for 24 years and several months.

Anyway, the point about illness is that, while there is never a particularly good time to be sick, some times are far worse than others. Particularly when your schedule looks like mine. Now, those of us destined for pseudo-sadistic existences in high stress positions (ha! phrasing.) know that sickness is what happens when you relax for a moment. Or when you ignore that beautiful little cold baby that you have lovingly cared (read: medicated and attempted to ignore the existence of) for as long as humanly possible before it blossomed into a full-grown, shiny, mucus-y near-death experience of a monster.

On the upside, at least, I think my mom (who felt bad for me) bought me a scarf (because in mom-speak, you get sick from wearing too few layers, GOT IT!???!) and I apparently actually have friends. They even offered to bring me things. Just goes to show you, sometimes being able to be a helpless blob of mucus-filled, feverish grossness for three days straight can bring lovely realizations, like: thank god I have friends. To be clear, they fall under the "bridesmaids" category of female relationships. For a complete breakdown of said female relationships, see thought catalog. I can personally attest to having a frenemy (no hints on who it is), having had multiple temp friends, some of my instafriends have morphed into bridesmaids. The defining characteristic of forgettable sue is that she is forgettable, thus: I don't know if I have one. OH! And a nemesis.....all of my friends and I are kind of slackers (maybe just in our own heads, since we all control shit and are on boards with responsibilities and power and shit), so I don't think I have one of those. I can, however, proudly say that people seem to think I am much smarter than I actually am. Got you suckers fooled! Or, to use a much more archaic term, I fleeced y'all!

Now, for realsies I need actual food and decongestants. Mostly decongestants. And DayQuil. And Mucinex. So, yay for grabbing dinner on the fly and buying all of the drugs (by which I mean OTC cold&flu meds).

No comments:

Post a Comment