Friday, January 11, 2013

Simple Pleasures

Most of law school is one giant slog through long hours of classes and work and job searching and resume polishing and ego stroking (you need this after all of the potential and often actual rejections that I went into detail on in a previous post), but every now and then you have to step back and allow yourself the luxury of soaking in the joy of a small moment. Like this morning. I had a workshop/boot camp for the Journal I'm on (don't feel slighted if you're not on one...it's a shit ton of work, and this particular one was to cover things we were repeatedly screwing up). Now, that in and of itself isn't so bad - that is, until you figure out why the workshop was happening. Apparently all of us newbies had repeatedly screwed up bluebook citations in the articles we edited, so we were to spend two hours re-learning the rules we had failed to learn sufficiently in the first place. Joy. To top that off, it was at 8:30 in the morning. Something I have learned about myself: I absolutely despise being awake before the freaking sun has risen. That's not always a minor handicap to have when you live in a geographic location that the sun is not always present in. Today, however, turns out to be one of those rare occurrences when the giant, shiny, eye-injuring orb in the sky decided to peek its face through the usually present cloud cover, and thank god for that. Why, you may ask. Oh, just because I slept through 3 alarms and woke up approximately half an hour before I was supposed to leave my house for this lovely workshop. So, after showing up about 10 minutes late, thoroughly and irreversibly hating everyone I encountered and everything they stood for, realizing that about half of my citations were problematic in one way or another, and coming to grips with the fact that when a fair number of your meals come for free from other people it is basically impossible to eat gluten free (I know, hippie/hipster nonsense), I was released into the near-empty law school. My fellow journal members and I proceeded to bitch and moan about law school, life, classes, our notes/comments, and various other things (law students are basically professionals at bitching and moaning), and then I went to the cafe for a hot beverage.

Now, I don't know if the girl working there was deaf or just had some horrible loss of her voice, but she was one of the sweetest individuals I'd encountered all morning. And, to top it all off, when handing over the life-giving, spirit-lifting miracle beverage that is mint tea (I say this with zero sarcasm. Seriously, get your self a mug of it IMMEDIATELY.), she stopped me, and typed out (in one of the most impressive displays of text messaging prowess I've ever seen) "I'm sure u get this all the time but u have incredible eyes." Day = made. Particularly since it's the first time in almost 3 days where I haven't looked like utter and complete shit. I kid you not, I went running after my morning class on Wednesday and didn't have time to change or shower....so I wore no makeup, had a gross ponytail and wore sweaty, gross running gear all day. Yesterday I spent the whole day in sweats because I had no class and a cabinet getting installed. Such a small gesture that took her all of 5 seconds (quickest typing I've ever seen) instantly made me feel that today is manageable. That my article will get done (eventually), and that even if I don't get all the jobs I want (and this is incredibly shallow and superficial), at least I have awesome eyes. So, thank you, barista, you made law school (if even for a moment) less detestable.

Happy Friday, all!

No comments:

Post a Comment